Title 12, Chapter 12, Section 3
(1) "Asbestos" means any naturally occurring hydrated mineral
silicates separable into commercially used fibers, specifically
the asbestiform varieties of serpentine, chrysotile;
cummingtomite-grunerite; amosite; riebeckite, crocidolite;
anthophyllite; tremolite; and actinolite.
(2) "Asbestos supervisor" means any individual who is employed or
engaged by a contractor to supervise the removal, encapsulation,
cleaning, or disposal of friable asbestos-containing materials.
(3) "Board" means the Board of Natural Resources.
(4) "Contractor" means any person who contracts with an owner or
operator of a facility or residential dwelling to perform the
removal or encapsulation of friable asbestos-containing material
from any such facility or residential dwelling. Such term shall
not include any employee of such owner or operator.
(5) "Director" means the director of the Environmental Protection
Division of the Department of Natural Resources or his or her
(6) "Division" means the Environmental Protection Division of the
Department of Natural Resources.
(7) "Emergency project" means the removal or encapsulation of
friable asbestos-containing material from any facility where such
activity must be conducted immediately in order to prevent
disruption of a commercial or industrial process or activity or
destruction of property.
(8) "Encapsulation" means the process of coating, binding, or
resurfacing walls, ceilings, pipes, or other structures with a
sealant to prevent friable asbestos from becoming airborne.
(9) "Facility" means any institutional, commercial, or industrial
structure, installation, or building, including an apartment
building having more than four dwelling units.
(10) "Friable asbestos-containing material" means any material
which is applied onto ceilings, walls, structural members, piping,
boilers, tanks, pumps, ductwork, or any other part of the building
containing more than 1 percent asbestos, by weight, and which when
dry may be crumbled, pulverized, or reduced to powder by hand
(11) "Person" means any individual, partnership, association,
trust, firm, corporation, county, municipality, or other entity,
including the state and federal governments.
(12) "Project" means the removal or encapsulation by a contractor
of friable asbestos-containing material from any facility or
(13) "Removal" means the process of taking out, stripping,
cleaning up, or disposing friable or potentially friable
asbestos-containing materials from any facility or residential
(14) "Residential dwelling" means any family residence or
apartment building with four or fewer dwelling units.
(15) "Small project" means any asbestos removal or encapsulation
project involving less than 160 square feet or 260 linear feet of
friable asbestos-containing materials.