Title 26, Chapter 2, Section 21
(a) As used in this article, the term:
(1) "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of Agriculture.
(2) "Contaminated with filth" applies to any food not securely
protected from dust, dirt, and, as far as may be necessary, by all
reasonable means, from all foreign or injurious contamination.
(3) "Federal act" means the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act
(Title 21 U.S.C. Section 301, et seq., 52 Stat. Section 1040, et
(4) "Food" means:
(A) Articles used for food or drink for human consumption;
(B) Chewing gum; and
(C) Articles used for components of any such articles.
(5) "Food sales establishment" means retail and wholesale grocery stores; retail seafood stores and places of business; food processing plants, except those food processing plants which are currently required to obtain a license from the Commissioner under any other provision of law; bakeries; confectioneries; fruit, nuts, and vegetable stores or roadside stands; wholesale sandwich and salad manufacturers, including vending machines and operations connected therewith; and places of business and similar establishments, mobile or permanent, engaged in the sale of food primarily for consumption off the premises. Within a food sales establishment, there may be a food service component, not separately operated, which may serve customers on site. This food service component shall be considered as part of the food sales establishment. The food sales component of any food service establishment defined in Code Section 26-2-370 shall not be included in this definition. This term shall not include "food service establishments" as defined in Code Section 26-2-370. This term also shall not include establishments engaged in the sale of food primarily for consumption off the premises if such sale is an authorized part of and occurs upon the site of a fair or festival which:
(A) Is sponsored by a political subdivision of this state or by an organization exempt from taxes under paragraph (1) of subsection (a) of Code Section 48-7-25 or under Section 501(d) or paragraphs (1) through (8) or paragraph (10) of Section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code, as that code is defined in Code Section 48-1-2;
(B) Lasts 120 hours or less; and
(C) When sponsored by such an organization, is authorized to be
conducted pursuant to a permit issued by the municipality or
county in which it is conducted.
(6) "Immediate container" does not include package liners.
(7) "Label" means a display of written, printed, or graphic matter
upon the immediate container of any article; and a requirement
made by or under the authority of this article that any word,
statement, or other information appear on the label shall not be
considered to be complied with unless each such word, statement,
or other information also appears on the outside wrapper or
container, if there is any, of the retail package of such article,
or is easily legible through the outside container or wrapper.
(8) "Labeling" means all labels and other written, printed, or
graphic matter upon an article or any of its containers or
wrappers or accompanying such article.
(9) "Official compendium" means the official United States
Pharmacopoeia, official Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United
States, official National Formulary, or any supplement to any of
(10) "Person" means an individual, partnership, corporation, or
association or any combination thereof.
(b) The provisions of this article regarding the selling of food
shall be considered to include the manufacture, production,
packaging, offer, exposure, possession, and holding of any such
articles and the supplying or applying of any such articles in the
conduct of any food establishment.