Title 26, Chapter 5, Section 3
As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "Department" means the Department of Human Resources or its
(2) "Drug abuse treatment and education program" means any system
of treatment or therapeutic advice or counsel provided for the
rehabilitation of drug dependent persons and shall include
programs offered in the following types of facilities:
(A) Residential care centers. A facility staffed by professional
and paraprofessional persons offering treatment or therapeutic
programs for drug dependent persons who live on the premises;
(B) Nonresidential care centers. A non-live-in facility, staffed
by professional and paraprofessional persons, offering treatment
or therapeutic programs for drug dependent persons who do not
live on the premises.
(3) "Drug dependent person" means a person who is in imminent
danger of becoming dependent upon or addicted to the use of drugs
or who habitually lacks self-control as to the use of drugs or who
uses drugs to the extent that his health is substantially impaired
or endangered or his social or economic function is substantially
(4) "Drugs" means any substance defined as a drug by federal or
Georgia law or any other chemical substance which may be used in
lieu of a drug to obtain similar effects, with the exception of
alcohol and its derivatives.
(5) "Governing body" means the county board of health, the
partnership, the corporation, the association, or the person or
group of persons who maintains and controls the program and who is
legally responsible for the operation.
(6) "License" means the official permit issued by the director
which authorizes the holder to operate a drug abuse treatment and
education program for the term provided therein.
(7) "Licensee" means any person holding a license issued by the
director under this chapter.
(8) "Program" means the drug abuse treatment and education