Title 31, Chapter 7, Section 51
(a) As used in this article, the term:
(1) "Auxiliary medical facilities" means diagnostic and treatment
facilities, nursing homes, chronic illness hospitals, and
(2) "Construction project" means a program for the construction of
any medical facility or auxiliary medical facility, mental
retardation center, or mental health center, as evidenced by the
approval of a project under Title VI or Title VII, Public Health
Service Act, as now or hereafter amended.
(3) "Hospital authority" means any hospital authority created
under the "Hospital Authorities Law," Article 4 of this chapter,
as now or hereafter amended.
(4) "Medical facilities" means general hospitals, psychiatric
hospitals, nurse training facilities, tuberculosis hospitals, and
public health centers.
(5) "Mental health center" means a facility providing services for
the prevention or diagnosis of mental illness, or care and
treatment of mentally ill patients, or rehabilitation of such
persons, which services are provided principally for persons
residing in a particular community or communities in or near which
the facility is situated.
(6) "Mental retardation center" means a facility specially
designed for the diagnosis, treatment, education, training, or
custodial care of the mentally retarded, including facilities for
training specialists and sheltered workshops for the mentally
retarded but only if such workshops are part of the facilities
which provide or will provide comprehensive services for the
(7) "Modernization project" means the alteration, major repair,
remodeling, replacement, and renovation of existing buildings
(including original equipment thereof) and replacement of
obsolete, built-in equipment of existing buildings, as evidenced
by the approval of a project under Title VI or Title VII of the
Public Health Service Act, as now or hereafter amended.
(8) "Publicly operated" means operated by a county, municipality,
hospital authority, or any combination thereof.
(9) "Publicly owned" means that a county, municipality, hospital
authority, or any combination thereof holds title to or has a
long-term lease acceptable to the state agency on the property on
which the construction or modernization is proposed.
(10) "State agency" means the State Health Planning and
Development Agency or any successor designated as the agency of
state government to administer the state construction and
modernization plan and receive funds pursuant to Titles VI and VII
of the Public Health Service Act, as amended.
(b) The terms "hospital," "psychiatric hospital," "nurse training
facilities," "public health center," "rehabilitation facility,"
"nursing home," "chronic illness hospital," "long-term care
facility," "mental retardation center," "mental health center,"
"construction," "cost of construction," "modernization," and "cost
of modernization" shall have meanings consistent with those
respectively ascribed to them in Titles VI and VII of the Public
Health Service Act, as now or hereafter amended.