Title 40, Chapter 3, Section 2
As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "Boat trailer" means any vehicle without motive power designed
for carrying boats, either partially or wholly on its own
structure, which is being drawn by a self-propelled vehicle and
operated over the public roads of this state.
(2) "Commissioner" means the commissioner of motor vehicle safety.
(2.1) "Department" means the Department of Motor Vehicle Safety.
(3) "Dealer" means a "dealer" as defined in Code Section 40-1-1, to whom current dealer registration plates have been issued by the commissioner.
(4) "Homemade trailer" means a vehicle without motive power,
designed for carrying persons or property either partially or
wholly on its own structure and for being drawn by a
self-propelled vehicle other than a self-propelled vehicle running
exclusively on tracks, which trailer has been manufactured and
constructed from component parts for personal use and not for the
purpose of commercial resale.
(5) "Identifying number" means the numbers and letters, if any, on
a vehicle designated by the commissioner for the purpose of
identifying the vehicle.
(6) "Lien" means any lien created by operation of law and not by contract or agreement with respect to a vehicle and includes all liens mentioned in Code Section 44-14-320, other than that in paragraph (5) thereof, and all liens for taxes due the United States of America, constructive notice of which is given by filing notice thereof in the office designated by state law.
(7) "Lienholder" means a person holding a lien created by
operation of law on a motor vehicle.
(8) To "mail" means to deposit in the United States mail properly
addressed and with postage paid.
(9) "Major component part" means any one of the following
subassemblies of a motor vehicle:
(A) Front clip assembly (fenders, hood, and bumper);
(B) Rear clip assembly (quarter panels and floor panel
(C) Engine and transmission;
(D) Top, with the exception of soft tops;
(E) Frame; or
(F) Complete side (fenders, door, and quarter panel).
(9.1) "Natural person" means an individual human being and does
not include any firm, partnership, association, corporation, or
(10) "Rebuilt motor vehicle" means any motor vehicle which has
been damaged and subsequently restored to an operable condition by
the replacement of two or more major component parts.
(11) "Salvage motor vehicle" means any motor vehicle:
(A) Which has been damaged to the extent that its restoration to
an operable condition would require the replacement of two or
more major component parts;
(B) For which an insurance company has paid a total loss claim
and the vehicle has not been repaired, regardless of the extent
of damage to such vehicle or the number of major component parts
required to repair such vehicle, but shall not mean or include
any stolen motor vehicle which has been recovered with the
public manufacturer's vehicle identification number plate intact
and the vehicle:
(i) Is undamaged;
(ii) Has only cosmetic damage; or
(iii) Has been damaged but only to the extent that its
restoration to an operable condition will not require the
replacement of two or more major component parts;
(C) Which is an imported motor vehicle which has been damaged in
shipment and disclaimed by the manufacturer as a result of the
damage, has never been the subject of a retail sale to a
consumer, and has never been issued a certificate of title.
The term salvage motor vehicle shall not include any motor vehicle
for which a total loss claim has been paid which vehicle has
sustained only cosmetic damage from causes other than fire or
(12) "Security agreement" means a written agreement which reserves
or creates a security interest.
(13) "Security interest" means an interest in a vehicle reserved
or created by agreement which secures the payment or performance
of an obligation, such as a conditional sales contract, chattel
mortgage, bill of sale to secure debt, deed of trust, and the
like. This term includes the interest of a lessor under a lease
intended as security.
(14) "Security interest holder" means the holder of an interest in
a vehicle reserved or created by agreement and which secures
payment or performance of an obligation.