Title 43, Chapter 1A, Section 3
As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "Applicant group" means any business or professional group or
organization, any individual, or any other interested party which
proposes that any business or professional group not presently
regulated be regulated by the state.
(2) "Certificate" or "certification" means a voluntary process by
which a statutory regulatory entity grants recognition to an
individual who has met certain prerequisite qualifications
specified by that regulatory entity and who may assume or use
"certified" in the title or designation to perform prescribed
(3) "Council" means the Georgia Occupational Regulation Review
(4) "Grandfather clause" means a provision in a regulatory statute
applicable to individuals engaged in the regulated business or
profession prior to the effective date of the regulatory statute
which exempts the individuals from meeting prerequisite
qualifications set forth in the regulatory statute to perform
prescribed occupational tasks.
(5) "Legislative committee of reference" means the standing
legislative committee designated by the Speaker of the House of
Representatives or the President of the Senate to consider
proposed legislation introduced in their respective houses of the
General Assembly to regulate any business or occupation not
(6) "License," "licensing," or "licensure" means authorization to
engage in a business or profession which would otherwise be
unlawful in the state in the absence of authorization. A license
is granted to those individuals who meet prerequisite
qualifications to perform prescribed business or professional
tasks, who use a particular title, or who perform those tasks and
use a particular title.
(7) "Regulate" or "regulation" means the process of licensure or
certification as defined in this Code section.
(8) "Regulatory entity" means any state agency which regulates one
or more professions, occupations, industries, businesses, or other
endeavors in this state.
(9) "State agency" means each state board, bureau, commission,
department, division, office, or other separate unit of state
government created or established by law.