Title 43, Chapter 4, Section 1
As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "Architect" means an individual technically and legally
qualified to engage in the practice of architecture.
(2) "Architectural construction contract administration services"
shall include at a minimum the following services:
(A) Visiting the construction site on a regular basis to
determine that the work is proceeding in accordance with the
technical submissions submitted to the building official at the
time the building permit was issued; and
(B) Processing shop drawings, samples, and other submissions
required of the contractor by the terms of construction contract
(3) "Board" means the Georgia State Board of Architects and
(4) "Building" means any structure consisting of foundation,
floors, walls, columns, girders, beams, and roof or a combination
of any of these parts, with or without other parts or
(5) "Building official" shall mean the person appointed by the
county, municipality, or other political subdivision of the state
having responsibility for the issuance of building permits and the
administration and enforcement of the Georgia State Minimum
Construction Codes, or a state fire marshal where there is not
such local official.
(6) "Practice of architecture" means the rendering of or offer to
render the following services in connection with the design,
construction, enlargement, or alteration of a building or group of
buildings and the space within and surrounding such buildings,
which may have human occupancy or habitation: planning, providing
preliminary studies, designs, drawings, specifications and other
technical submissions, the architectural administering of
construction contracts, and coordinating elements of technical
submissions prepared by others including, as appropriate and
without limitation, consulting engineers, registered interior
designers, and landscape architects. As part of the practice of
architecture, a registered architect may perform such engineering
work as is incidental to his or her work. Nothing in this
paragraph shall be construed to prohibit a licensed engineer from
coordinating technical submittals related to the practice of
(7) "Registered architect" means a person who is technically and
legally qualified and currently registered with the board to
practice architecture in the State of Georgia.
(8) "Registered interior designer" means a person who is registered under Article 2 of this chapter as being qualified by education, experience, and examination to use the title "registered interior designer" in the State of Georgia and as further defined in Code Section 43-4-30. Nothing in this paragraph or in this article shall be construed as prohibiting or restricting the practice or activities of an interior decorator or individual offering interior decorating services, including, but not limited to, selection of surface materials, window treatments, wall coverings, paints, floor coverings, and lighting fixtures.
(9) "Registration" means the certificate of registration issued by
(10) "Responsible control" means the amount of control over and
detailed knowledge of the content of technical submissions during
their preparation as is ordinarily exercised by registered
architects applying the required professional standard of care, as
defined by rules and regulations adopted by the board.
(11) "Technical submissions" means designs, drawings,
specifications, studies, and other technical reports prepared in
the course of practicing architecture.