Title 47, Chapter 6, Section 1
As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "Accumulated contributions" means the sum of all amounts
deducted from the compensation of a member and credited to his
individual account in the system, together with regular interest
thereon. Beginning on January 12, 1981, this term shall include
the amount of employee contributions paid by the employer on
behalf of members, together with regular interest thereon,
excluding employee contributions paid by the employer for group
term life insurance coverage.
(2) "Beneficiary" means any person in receipt of a retirement
allowance or other benefit as provided by the system.
(3) "Board" means the Board of Trustees of the Employees'
Retirement System of Georgia; provided, however, that if any
member of such board of trustees is an active or retired member or
a beneficiary of this retirement system, he or she shall not serve
as a member of the board of trustees of this retirement system.
(4) "Creditable service" means prior service and membership
service for which credit is allowable under this chapter, but in
no case shall more than one year of service be creditable for all
service in one calendar year, nor shall it include any service
which has been or may be credited to a member by any other public
retirement system of this state.
(5) "Date of establishment" means July 1, 1967.
(6) "Member" means any person included in the membership of the
(7) "Membership service" means service as paid for by the member, as provided for in Code Section 47-6-60.
(8) "Prior service" means service rendered prior to January 1,
1954, as a Representative, Senator, or staff member of the General
Assembly and service, day for day, on active duty in any component
of the armed forces of the United States during wartime or during
any conflict in which military personnel were committed by the
President of the United States, provided that no such service in
excess of five years shall be creditable.
(8.1) "Prior service" shall also include military service which is creditable under Code Section 47-6-70.1.
(9) "Retirement allowance" means monthly payments for life pursuant to Code Section 47-6-80.
(10) "Staff members" means the Secretary of the Senate, the Clerk
of the House of Representatives, and the messenger and doorkeeper
for each of the two houses of the General Assembly.
(11) "System" means the Georgia Legislative Retirement System.