Title 50, Chapter 4, Section 1
Unless otherwise required by context, as used in this Code when
related to the executive branch of state government, the term:
(1) "Administrative" means those functions related to the specific
implementation of general policies.
(2) "Agency" means any officer, department, division, bureau,
board, commission, or agency in the executive branch of state
(3) "Constitution" means the Constitution of Georgia.
(4) "Department" means a principal, functional, and administrative
entity and its divisions within the executive branch of state
government provided for by the "Executive Reorganization Act of
1972" or by any subsequent enactment except when used in
connection with the name of an agency existing before July 1,
(5) "Department head" means a director, commission, board,
commissioner, or constitutional officer or such other official in
charge of a department.
(6) "Function" means a duty, power, or program exercised by or
assigned to an agency, whether or not specifically provided for by
law, including budgeted positions and personnel relating to the
performance of such function unless otherwise provided.
(7) "Policy" or "policy making" means those functions related to
establishing the general direction which programs of an agency
(8) "Unit" means an internal subdivision of an agency, created by statute or by administrative action, including a division, bureau, section, or department or an agency assigned to a department for administrative purposes only as provided in Code Section 50-4-3.