Title 2, Chapter 12, Section 41
As used in this article, the term:
(1) "Agricultural liming material" means a product whose calcium
and magnesium compounds are capable of neutralizing soil acidity
and which is sold or distributed for that purpose. Agricultural
liming materials may either be in solid or liquid (suspension)
form. The following are types of agricultural liming materials:
(A) "Burnt lime" is a material made from limestone which
consists essentially of calcium oxide or a combination of
calcium oxide with magnesium oxide.
(B) "Calcitic liming materials" are those materials composed
wholly or primarily of calcium carbonate.
(C) "Dolomitic liming materials" are those materials composed of
calcium and magnesium carbonates.
(D) "Hydrated lime" is a material, made from burnt lime, which
consists of calcium hydroxide or a combination of calcium
hydroxide with magnesium oxide or magnesium hydroxide or both.
(E) "Industrial by-product" is any industrial waste or
by-product containing calcium or calcium and magnesium compounds
which will neutralize soil acidity.
(F) "Limestone" is a material consisting essentially of calcium
carbonate or a combination of calcium carbonate with magnesium
carbonate which is capable of neutralizing soil acidity.
(G) "Marl" is a granular or loosely consolidated earthy material
composed largely of seashell fragments and calcium carbonate.
(2) "Brand" means the term, designation, trademark, product name,
or other specific designation under which individual agricultural
liming materials are offered for sale.
(3) "Bulk" means in nonpackaged form.
(4) "Calcium carbonate equivalent" or "neutralizing value" means
the acid neutralizing capacity of an agricultural liming material
expressed as weight percentage of calcium carbonate.
(5) "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of Agriculture of the
State of Georgia.
(6) "Distribute" means to offer for sale, sell, exchange, barter,
or otherwise supply or make available agricultural liming material
in this state.
(7) "Distributor" means any person who distributes.
(8) "Fineness" means the percentage by weight of the liming
material which will pass the United States Standard Sieve Series
of specified sizes. The Commissioner shall establish by
regulation the sieve sizes and minimum percentages required to
pass such sieves for agricultural liming materials.
(9) "Investigational allowance" means an allowance for variations
inherent in the taking, preparation, and analysis of an official
sample of agricultural liming material.
(10) "Label" means any written or printed matter on or attached to
the package or on the delivery ticket which accompanies bulk
(11) "Labeling" means all written, printed, or graphic matter upon
or accompanying any liming material or any advertisements,
brochures, posters, or television or radio announcements used in
promoting the sale of such liming material.
(12) "Licensee" means the person who is responsible for
guaranteeing agricultural liming materials and who receives a lime
license to distribute agricultural liming materials under the
provisions of this article.
(13) "Lot" means that amount of agricultural liming material on
hand and actually covered by the official sample at the time and
place of sampling. In determining deficiencies in and penalties
on agricultural liming materials under this article, deficiencies
and penalties shall be calculated on the actual tonnage present at
the time of sampling, provided that, if at the time of sampling at
least 20 percent of the single delivery is present, the total
amount in the single shipment shall be subject to penalty.
(14) "Official sample" means any sample of agricultural liming
material taken by the Commissioner or the Commissioner's agent and
designated "official" by the Commissioner.
(15) "Percent" or "percentage" means by weight.
(16) "Person" means an individual, partnership, association, firm,
(17) "Ton" means a net weight of 2,000 pounds avoirdupois.