Title 44, Chapter 5, Section 142
As used in this article, the term:
(1) "Anatomical gift" means a donation of all or part of a human
body to take effect upon or after death.
(2) "Bank or storage facility" means an organ procurement
organization or any entity licensed or approved in the State of
Georgia as a tissue bank, eye bank, or clinical laboratory which
procures, stores, or processes human tissue designed to be used
for medical purposes in human beings.
(3) "Decedent" means a deceased individual and includes a
stillborn infant or fetus.
(4) "Document of gift" means a donor card, a statement attached to
or imprinted on a motor vehicle operator's or chauffeur's license,
a will, or other writing used to make an anatomical gift.
(5) "Donor" means an individual who makes a gift of all or part of
(6) "Enucleator" means an individual who is authorized to remove
(7) "Hospital" means a hospital licensed, accredited, or approved
under the laws of any state, although not required to be licensed
under state laws, and includes hospitals operated by the United
States government or by the state or a subdivision thereof.
(8) "Organ" means any heart, lung, pancreas, kidney, or liver.
(9) "Organ procurement organization" means an organization located
in the State of Georgia that is designated by the Health Care
Financing Administration of the federal Department of Health and
Human Services under the end stage renal disease facility
regulations to perform or coordinate the performance of all of the
(A) Procurement of donated kidneys;
(B) Preservation of donated kidneys;
(C) Transportation of donated kidneys; and
(D) Maintenance of a system to locate prospective recipients of
An organ procurement organization may also perform these services
for extrarenal vital organs and includes any organization
certified by the federal Department of Health and Human Services
as an organ procurement organization.
(10) "Part" means organs, tissues, eyes, bones, arteries, blood
and other fluids, and any other portions of a human body. The
term "part" also means a heart pacemaker.
(11) "Person" means an individual, corporation, government or
governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust,
partnership or association, or any other legal entity.
(12) "Physician" or "surgeon" means a physician or surgeon
licensed or authorized to practice under the laws of any state.
(13) "State" means any state, district, commonwealth, territory,
insular possession, and any other area subject to the legislative
authority of the United States of America.
(14) "Technician" means an individual authorized by a bank or
storage facility to remove or process an anatomical gift,
excluding the removal of organs for transplantation.