Title 51, Chapter 1, Section 43
(a) This Code section shall be known and may be cited as the "Roller
Skating Safety Act of 1993."
(b) As used in this Code section, the term:
(1) "Operator" means a person or entity who owns or controls or
who has operational responsibility for a roller skating center.
(2) "Roller skater" means a person wearing roller skates while
that person is in a roller skating center for the purpose of
(3) "Roller skating center" means a building, facility, or
premises which provides an area specifically designed to be used
for roller skating by the public.
(4) "Spectator" means a person who is present in a roller skating
center only for the purpose of observing skating activity, whether
recreational or competitive.
(c) Each operator of a roller skating center shall be required to:
(1) Post the duties of roller skaters and spectators as prescribed
in this Code section in conspicuous places;
(2) Comply with the safety standards ordinarily accepted in the
roller skating rink industry;
(3) Maintain roller skating equipment and roller skating surfaces
according to the safety standards cited in paragraph (2) of this
(4) Maintain the stability and legibility of all required signs,
symbols, and posted notices.
(d) While in a roller skating center, each roller skater shall do
all of the following:
(1) Maintain reasonable control of his or her speed and course at
(2) Read all posted signs and warnings;
(3) Maintain a proper lookout to avoid other roller skaters and
(4) Accept the responsibility for knowing the range of his or her
own ability to negotiate the intended direction of travel while on
roller skates and to skate within the limits of that ability; and
(5) Refrain from acting in a manner which may cause injury to
(e) Each person who participates in roller skating in a roller
skating center accepts the risks that are inherent in that activity
insofar as the risks are obvious and necessary.
(f) A roller skater, spectator, or operator who violates the
provisions of this Code section shall be liable in a civil action
for damages for that portion of the loss or damage resulting from
(g) Nothing in this Code section shall be construed to relieve an
operator from exercising ordinary diligence in his or her